To assist staff and volunteers with day-to-day operations of the depot by helping to fulfil referrals, prepare deliveries, receive donations, and help with customer enquiries.
Main Duties Include
• Assisting the van teams with the loading and unloading of donations to ensure that all loads are secured safely.
• Documenting, sorting, and placing donations onto racks, and shelves so it can be easily accessed.
• Picking and preparing donations from throughout the depot for deliveries and referrals.
• Communicating with staff and volunteers from shops and centres about deliveries and collections.
• Helping customers wanting to purchase items by promoting available stock.
• Following depot guidelines regarding the removal of recycling and unsaleable donations from the warehouse to ensure a safe environment for customers, volunteers, and staff.
• General warehouse duties which will involve the heavy lifting of furniture and other household items.
Skills and Experience
• Good interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, and customers from all backgrounds
• Ability to maintain professional standards of confidentiality regarding all aspects of the work of the depot
• Awareness of Health and Safety Procedures within the depot
• Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and committed attitude
• Ability to take direction and to work as part of a team
• Trustworthy and capable of being able to work independently at times
• Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
• Experience of working with vulnerable adults and an understanding of the voluntary sector desirable but not essential
Volunteer Warehouse Operatives will be required to commit 4 hours of their time one day each week.
Induction, Training and Development
Each volunteer will receive an induction and training will be available in all aspects of the role.