Youth SVP is an invitation for young people aged 11-18 to come and join our Vincentian family. Worldwide our mission is to tackle poverty in all its forms by providing practical assistance to people in need.
The St Vincent de Paul Society was founded thanks to a young student who walked through the poorest streets of his community on his way to university lectures each day. The poverty he came across inspired him to be the change and make a difference to those around him in need. Today the SVP works in communities around the world to continue this legacy.
With a formula of ‘See, Think, Do’ groups of young members meet in schools and parishes across England & Wales to discuss and put into action support for the people around them.
Youth SVP members use their creativity, resources and energy to engage in their communities and take part in social action. Through voluntary work, Youth SVP members not only make a difference, but learn new skills, build lasting friendships and grow in faith.
The key to our Vincentian ministry is befriending - in all our work we look for ways to come alongside people. Our young people have a wealth of ideas and as members they decide on their own focus with the support and guidance of the Vincentian Coordinator. Some of the acts of charity young people are involved in around England and Wales include (but are not limited to):
- Collecting items that local charities need
- Helping with children’s liturgy on Sundays
- Helping in a local parish by welcoming people to Mass
- Volunteering in a local SVP shop or SVP support project
- Collaborating with local adult SVP activities
- Fundraising and collaborating with local projects
- Pilgrimage walks/hikes/events
- Learning support in a local primary school (literacy, numeracy, IT, sports)
- Visiting care homes
- Creating safe spaces in school
- Supporting staff
- Running and Donating to Foodbanks
- School clothing banks
- Knitting squares for Dementia blankets
- Doing local parishioners gardens.
- Organising community get togethers
- Meeting with MP's
- Summer Sleep Out
- Supporting Refugees